Some funny quotes from :
- Loki’s Wikipedia article has this quote:
Loki, the outsider in the Northern Germanic pantheon, confounds not only his fellow deities and chronicler Snorri Sturluson [referring to the Prose Edda] but has occasioned as much quarrel among his interpreters."
Which I think explains everything. The reason it’s hard to work out the chronology and whatnot is because Loki is, to this day, trolling mythology scholars.
- I actually love Loki’s Wiki page just for this bit in the Theory Section.
After World War II, four scholarly theories dominated. The first of the four theories is that of Folke Ström, who in 1956 concluded that Loki is a hypostasis of the god Odin. In 1959, Jan de Vries theorized that Loki is a typical example of a trickster figure. In 1961, by way of excluding all non-Scandinavian mythological parallels in her analysis, Anna Birgitta Rooth concluded that Loki was originally a spider. Anne Holtsmark, writing in 1962, concluded that no conclusion could be made about Loki.
The Loki muse in my head is laughing gleefully at this whole statement. ❤
- Oh I knowwww. That sentence. I just. How does it even? Only Loki could inspire such a sentence.
I also love how it’s like:
1. Pantheons are blurry, characters from one generation to the next, etc.
2. Archetype seen throughout the world, human nature personified, sdalg;ijsfdlga etc.
3. MF’S A SPIDER! No further explanation required, moving on!
4. Conclusion: no conclusion.